Did you know that glossophobia is a fear of public speaking? And it accounts for up to 70% of the world's phobias?
Fear not, Nation Building School is here for you!
Some key takeaways from Just Three Hours on Public Speaking with HRDF Certified Nina Nasir, Founder of Pursuka, an organisation promoting the importance of self love and happiness!
A. Starting, Presenting and Ending
1. Most important parts? The start and the end. Reason? People always remember how you begin and how you end.
2. Golden rule? Signpost THREE key points. Too many key points? Consider broad categories. Try mind mapping.
3. What will be your strategy? Emotional or instructional? Long or short? Interactive? Persuasive? Demonstrate? Print or digital? Casual or formal? Check out Nina's game plan!
B. Nina's OSA-TLP Public Speaking Game Plan
1. Objective: Why is the presentation important? Tip: Ask yourself, why is it important for you and your audience.
2. Subject: What will you present? Tip: The cleaner you are in your presentation, the more effective it is, especially when you have a large and diverse audience.
3. Audience: Who will be there? What do they like/dislike? What is their culture? Tip: Stalk your audience. Try Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
4. Time of the meeting. Tip: How do you feel at 5pm? Corporates may be tired, so think about chocolates and perfumes to freshen up senses. VCs may be energised because their day might have just started, so be extra ready.
5. Length of talk: How long do you have? Tip: Customise. Pitch. Goal: When you walk in people like you, when you walk out people like you even more.
6. Place: Where will you meet? Casual? Business? Leisure? Online? Tip: Choose a conducive place. Then familiarise yourself with the place. You're boss when you know the place in and out.
C. Final remarks
- Prepare. Why? To identify flaws. To focus on the audience. To explore all options. Be aware. Be confident.
- Public speaking is a performance, so give it your best shot with a game plan to make it enjoyable!
If you're loving "some" of these gems, do keep a look out for our next Just Three Hours to "fully" gain and sharpen a superpower (skill)! @ VSQ@PJ City Centre
We are youth platform aiming to shape the future, one mind at a time.